Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Few Things and Rum

I ordered some Pina Colada thing the other day when we were out to eat, and it came with a "sidecar" of rum. Now, I am easily confused by things today. Yes, this makes me sound old. However, back when I regularly purchased alcohol, if you wanted a shot of something, you asked for a shot. It didn't come hanging on the side of a glass. It's sorta nice of them to hang that there, but I don't know if I'm supposed to down it like a shot, or if I'm supposed to add it to the drink and stir it in. You see my conundrum? If you wanted an "Upside down" drink, you had to lean backwards over the bar and the bartender poured the alcohol directly into your mouth, and you stood up quickly (with your lips firmly shut) and shook your head like a dog and then swallowed. Very sluttish, but I did indeed do that on more than one occasion. Big deal. Shut up. I had flaming shots, double shots, all sort of shot, but they never came hanging on the side of a drink.
So, I get this drink and my kids and husband all are staring at it, because these days if you drink ANY alcohol the "DARE" and "MacGruff the Crime Dog" saturated youth views you as a depraved pervert. Anyhow, they were staring at me with digust and disdain, and I didn't care. So, I pick up the "sidecar" and ask my husband..."what, do I do a shot? Or do I stir it into the drink?" and he had no clue, plus he probably couldn't hear me because he hadn't had his skull drilled out, yet. So, one of my kids, who I will deal with severely later, started chanting, "chug, chug", which was dumb since I wasn't drinking beer at a Frat house. More on that later.
So, I took a tentative sip of the liquor in the shot glass. Oh my Dear God. It was like nectar. It was some of that spiced rum. I could seriously drink that all day and night instead of water. It was DElicious! I got all excited and had my husband taste it, and he liked it, too. I didn't let my children taste it, although one of them, and yes it was the one chanting "chug" did ask to taste it and I quite strongly told him, 'NO! It's MINE!" and then I sipped the rest of the delicious rum. Try as I might, I cannot find a picture of this concoction. Google has failed me.
Never fear, though. I am going on a cruise in June, and I intend to drink many more of these lovely little bebidas. I will take a picture of one. Or more.

Next time: I think I'll tell you about the best hand cream in the entire world.

No comments: