Monday, August 13, 2012

OY...

Well, it's that time of year, again. Time for back to school. If you are the parent of a school aged child, you are probably hollering, "YAY!". If you are a child, you probably aren't. If you are a teacher, you are probably either: A. having panic attacks; B. drinking to excess; or C. crying inconsolably. Or, in my case; D. All three.

So, next week I go back for the week of "inservice". This is a period of time where we are supposed to learn new curriculum for the year, get to know new teachers, reconnect with colleagues and generally get back into the "swing" of things. However. However, however, however....it's never like that. Usually, it's a lot of technology related disasters that prevent us from seeing Powerpoint presentations that we don't really want or need to see, anyhow. Then, there is seemingly never ending ...I don't know what to call them...monologues? Speeches? I don't know..there's just a lot of them.

During that week, we have the "Meet the Teacher" night. This is when, as I"m sure you know, students and their parents can come up to the school, find out who their teacher will be for the year, drop off school supplies, meet the teacher and you know...meet the teacher. It's pretty straightforward.

Two weeks from now, I will be back in the classroom teaching. This means I will be at school in the morning when it's still dark, and I will leave well after the dismissal bell everyday.

I will eat my lunch in approximately 2.4 minutes, attempt to have time to use the restroom, wash my hands, pick up any mail I might have, and go back and pick up my students from their lunch. I have 30 minutes to do all of this. When you take out the walk down to the cafeteria and the sprint back up to the faculty lounge, the time it takes to pee, wash hands and God forbid, heat up lunch, I have maybe...ohhh...2.4 minutes. So, yeah. I get lots of digestive issues around that time, too.

I will take the children to the restroom several times during the day, and over the course of the school year, I will have it down to twice a day. However, I will have one time if I'm lucky to use the restroom all day. I MIGHT get a chance during our "conference time". Maybe. I don't count on it.

I will plan lessons, grade papers, put grades into the computer grade book, schedule parent conferences if needed, meet with my grade level to plan, take children to and from "specials" classes, assess children's abilities, attempt to modify instruction for each child, listen to children's sometimes heartbreaking problems, intervene in playground disputes because now it's all about the "bullying", attempt to help any child in need, and in the process, neglect my own family. I do it strictly for the huge paycheck.

Not really.

I don't get paid all that much. Why do we pay doctors and lawyers so much, but teachers so little? Didn't a teacher teach THEM? If you are reading this, didn't a teacher teach YOU?

My brother is a police officer and gets paid almost three times as much as I do. Of course, he is in danger all of the time.

I only have had one attempted stabbing and been on two "hit lists". I think police officers should make MORE than they do. I also think teachers should make WAY more than they do.

Plus, most of my paycheck is eaten up by what I pay for health insurance for myself and my family. My husband is retired, and I have two children in college and one in high school. It's expensive. Almost as expensive as all of those damned Iphones I pay for. However, that is for another post on another day.

I spend probably a couple of thousand of dollars every year on my classroom or my students. Seriously. At least that much. A lot of parents do not purchase any school supplies for their children whatsoever. I understand if they do not have the means to purchase supplies. However, when they cruise up to school in a brand new Cadillac SUV and have their nails done and their children wear all of that Rhino or Coogi or whatever it is clothes...I have a hard time understanding why they can't spring for pencils and paper.

I buy it. I buy crayons, glue, rulers, scissors, paper, pencils, map pencils, powerful pencil sharpeners for my classroom, and all of the other office type supplies I need daily. If I didn't love my job, I wouldn't do it. However, I'm not going to let a child go without in my classroom. No child will feel badly because their parents either cannot or will not purchase them a new box of crayons or a new 50 cent ruler.

So, when you send your little darlings off to school, say a prayer for the teachers, too. We do it because we love it. We love your kids. We love learning. We love seeing children learn. We find your child funny, smart and interesting. Please remember that when your child comes home with a note saying, "Johnny did not turn in his homework. Please speak with him about the importance of doing his homework." it is not because we dislike your child. It's because your child didn't DO HIS HOMEWORK and he NEEDS TO DO HIS HOMEWORK. We aren't out to get your child. We LIKE kids.

Here's hoping everyone has a wonderful school year full of happy memories and many, ,many learning experiences. Please, God. Amen. (And please don't let anyone try to stab me or put me on another "hit list" because I'm strict, thank you.) Amen. Again.

No comments: