Friday, June 17, 2011

Procrastination

Procrastination is a problem I've been struggling with, lately. When I sit down to write, I end up "researching" instead. By "researching", I mean going on Facebook, Youtube, shopping, etc. Anything other than writing. My thoughts are all over the place, which means there is nothing coherent coming out of my head. I believe coherent thoughts are necessary when writing a novel.

To be fair, I've been on vacation for just over a week, and most of that time has been spent catching up on household chores, personal upkeep (hair, botox, etc.) and various other very legitimate sounding things. Truthfully, I haven't wanted to face this computer and this lack of idea that I am suffering.

I have done quite a bit of reading of OTHER author's books, however. I find misspelled words, incorrect grammar and a plethora of other problems. I become distracted by it. What do I do? I go online to various sites that talk about how grammar has been almost killed by modern authors. I get irate. I respond to posts. I worry that my OWN grammar is suffering. Was that a correct sentence? Did I use a subjective invective in the correct past tense without any dangling participles? I don't know! I don't remember! I need an editor for my blog and my responses to other people's posts!
There are several excellent sites where grammar is still held in high esteem. Most are run by literay agents, (Hello, I am a very good writer, please sign me.) or, even more intimidating, EDITORS! (Hello, I am a very good writer, please sign me.)

All in all, the summer is progressing much as other summer's have progressed. (that was a bad sentence, wasn't it?) I have thought much about what I NEED to do around the house, in the yard, etc. I have DONE none of it. I have seen several movies. I have read multiple books. I have written almost nothing. Honestly, this blog post is the most I've written since school ended. I must admit, it's disheartening, disappointing and any other "dis" you can think of.

I need to sit my ass down and just do it, but my ass doesn't want to do that. My ass wants to do other things.

Anybody else having the same issues? Does anybody legitimate want to sign me? (Please no illegitimate publishers...no "self-publishers" that don't have editors and expect you to do all the publicity yourself...I've had enough offers from them.)

No comments: