Saturday, July 10, 2010

June 17, 2007

June 17, 2007


Current mood: sad
Category: Pets and Animals
So, we had to go out of town. We left two of our dogs home and had someone come in and check on them. We have a dog door, so they were able to get in and out, etc. However, our smallest dog...the Yorkshire Terrier...we took over to my Mom's house. We felt that she would be better off with people all the time. She is less than 5 pounds and very spoiled and we just felt that she needed extra care, right?

Well...on the 5th day we were gone, my Mom calls me and says,
Mom: "What are you doing?"
Me: "We just got back from a museum...."
Mom: *sigh* "Oh, I just don't know how to tell you this......"
Me: Ohmygod. Tell me. Just tell me. What? What? OHMYGOD! WHAT?
Mom: Dixie got out. We can't find her. I just don't know what to do....
Me: Oh, shit. How long ago? Have you called her?
Mom: Ohhhhh...
Me: Just go outside and call her, she'll come. She's never run off before!
Mom: Ohhhhh......
Me: What? What? How long ago?
Mom: Yesterday morning.
Me: What?!?!? You mean MONDAY morning? And this is what? What? Tuesday evening????? Oh.my god!!!!!!! Well, we have to do something...we have to....ummmm..I have to well...she is microchipped and we have to call the vet and tell them she is missing and you have to put up signs and you have to...
Mom: We've put up signs and I'll call the vet right now..

So...I gave her our vet's name and number which the dog has on her harness, of course. Then, I had to tell Sanford. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of all the things that could have happened to a 4 pound Yorkie in the Texas hill country. How did she get out? Nobody knows. Nobody had seen her. We have combed every square acre, inch and millimeter of scrub brush from our house to my Mother's house for her. We have gotten people's permission to go on their property that is just wild empty country, we have looked for buzzards circling, we have gone at night with spotlights, we have literally done EVERYTHING we can do. And we now don't know what else to do. We have put up signs, we have offered rewards, we have put advertisements in area newspapers, we've put ads in internet publications....we've done EVERYTHING. Being microchipped is no good if nobody brings her in.
One couple claim they saw her 4 days ago on their ranch, so we spent yesterday combing 9 acres with absolutely no sign of her. And to have been there, she would have had to cross 2 busy state highways and then hoofed it over several acres of rough country.


She is so tiny, but very bossy. She is recently spayed, she is wearing a bright pink harness, and she doesn't have a typical Yorkie haircut. She answers to "Dixie". She is part of my heart. She was last seen in Georgetown, Texas...specifically the "Village" subdivision, which is near Sun City. There is a substantial reward for her safe return..no questions asked. Her tags say "Town and Country Vet" and have the phone number for the vet on them.



I won't even go into how Sanford is acting. That's for another Blog altogether.

No comments: