Saturday, July 10, 2010

May 30, 2007

May 30, 2007


So we rented some movies at the evil movie renting place.

The one I chose was very good, naturally. I chose "The Painted Veil" with Naomi Watts and the sexually oozing Edward Norton. (Gasp! My Mother informed me yesterday that she is of the impression that Mr. Norton is homosexual! Which I happen to KNOW he is not! Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that...but he isn't...homosexual, that is....)

Anyhow, it was a BEAUTIFUL movie. Even though W. Somerset Maugham wrote it, and we ALL know he wasn't the most cheerful dude ever. Ask Holden Caufield. It was a very good movie. Even Sanford liked it.

Then, I was forced to sit through his choice. "Soldier of God", about some dipshit Templar Knight. It.was.mind.numbingly.boring. Truly. Even Sanford cussed the screen at the end. It was confusing, stupid and had no subtitles for deaf Sanford. If it is about the Templars, he watches it. It could be about the Templars taking a crap, and he'd watch it. Damn, they were filthy...anyhow, don't bother renting it unless you are in the mood for a confusing boring as hell waste of time.

I've wanted to see "Smokin' Aces" for awhile. Sanford claims I saw it. He says we rented it. My sons claims I saw it. I did not see it. I know I didn't. I've seen previews of it, I looked at the box, and I can say without reservation that I have not seen that fucker. I WANT to, but I have not seen it as yet. So I rented it. (Again, according to Sanford.) He says I fell asleep the minute we turned it on last time. Which, if that is true, that proves how HARD I WORK!!!!!!! Damn right.

And then, I insisted we purchase our own copy of "Borat" so that I can laugh my ass off anytime I feel the need. Which is quite frequently. My personal library is diverse. I have movies for different moods. Sometimes, because of tremors, I can't hold still to read, so I have to resort to movies...so I have all of Jane Austen's works on DVD, I have tons of BBC productions on DVD, I have stuff like Super Troopers, Office Space, Raising Arizona, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and a SUPERIOR film from France that I could watch over and over called "Etre et Avoir". It is one of the best documentaries EVER. "Amelie"; "The Tango Lesson"; "It's a Beautiful Life"....many other movies that at the time, I said "That is the BEST movie I've ever seen, we have to buy it."

Anyhow, the long and short of this is: Don't watch "Soldier of God", but "The Painted Veil" was good. Oh and "Marie Antoinette" by Sofia Coppola...I bought that. I adore that effin' movie. Evidently, I'm the only American who does..

Is Life? No..Demorez.
Monday, May 28, 2007

New books
Current mood: amused
So, I went to the bookstore today. I just finished reading "I Love You, Beth Cooper" by Larry Doyle. Obviously a fast read.

Let's see...how was it? FANTASTIC. That's how it was. Read it. Hysterical. Fantabulous. It's about a boy who is his class Valedictorian. In his speech, he says a bunch of things he has never said, but has wanted to say. Including, "I love you, Beth Cooper." She is the head cheerleader. He is the debate team captain. The rest of the story takes place the night of their high school graduation. It's a sweet, funny and sometimes sad story that I THINK almost everyone who is over the age of 18 can identify with. I did laugh. Several times. Hard. That's a rave review from me.

I also purchased "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts; "The Last Jew" by Noah Gordon and "The Pirate Queen :The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate" by Alan Gold. We'll see how those are...

The sun actually came out for like 2 seconds today. Long enough to trigger allergies.
Currently reading:
Shantaram: A Novel
By Gregory David Roberts
Release date: 29 September, 2005

No comments: